Thursday, February 19, 2015

Carnival and A Ten Foot Belly Flop- Cuenca Week Twenty Nine


So Im just gonna jump right it...
Carnival
This week started  carnival. Not officially because it doesn't start until today,but it began like last Wednesday. I know you all probably think that Cuenca turns into sin city and that we are all hiding in closets during this time. Practically carnival here is people just throw water and silly string. It isn't even that fun, because people literally throw like 5 year old girls. Well some people are pretty good- the ones that hit us. Most of the time we can just walk through the streets without danger but occasionally people drive by in trucks and everyone in the back has water guns or water balloons. Then we run. For safety reasons we are in the house today and tomorrow. So basically we will be really bored for the next couple days. Lots of eating and sleeping.

Fall of a lifetime
Before I share this story. Everyone know that I am alive and fine. Nothing came of this. On Saturday we were climbing a mountain to get to the top to visit one of our investigadors. As we approached the house we saw like 20 kids in the street playing with water. The first time that they came after us we just ran back down the hill. The second time I ran up and my companion ran down. First mistake. All the kids followed me. I ran into a lot of grass like 5 feet high and they still followed me. So I ran. By the way they are chasing me with water. I am hauling. I think if Nick Saban was there he would have recruited me for my 40 time. However, the little kids out smarted me and I was then running and saw I cliff. I looked back at them and they continued to chase. The drop was a good 8-10 feet. I felt like superman so i decided I would jump.The rock in front of my right foot had other ideas and lets just saw I feel. As I am falling I swear I can hear my companion go "oh crap"and a chorus of angel singing " I believe I can fly." Lets just say I belly flopped a good ten foot fall. Then I bounced right back up and continued running. Not until I stopped running did I see the damage. My hands were pretty banged up as well as my shirt. I am grateful that was it. It could have been like 10 times worse. The first thing I said after was, "Dude I have to take a picture, my mom and dad will love this." So there are pictures attached. And the kids still managed to get me wet. I learned it is just better to get wet from the balloons.
The result of the fall

He looks pretty happy for the fall he took!

Investigadors
Things are going great. Our two awesome investigadors were in the church Sunday and one is getting baptized this week and the other the next week. Things are really looking up here as we start putting our trust in the lord and working as he wants. Time is short so we have to go all in during our time.
Thanks for all the support and prayers.
Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment