Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Guinea Pig Ecuador Style-Cuenca Week Thirty Two

Chef Shanklin
 If anyone has looked up Cuenca you could probably have seen that one of the most popular foods here in Cuenca is Guinea Pig. Everyone always tell us how good it is and tells us that they will invite us one day. However, we know that day will never happen. Until, one member said "elders, Saturday we are cooking guinea pig. You guys should come and see what it is like." Believe me. We were more than thrilled to be go. Whenever we showed up we were informed that the rule of the house is in order to eat you have to kill. As the guests of the house it was our responsibility to kill the animals. Remember I have never been hunting or anything so I just laughed and told him that he was crazy. He was joking when he told me I had to kill it. Lets just say after some time we learned how to cook guinea pig and I will teach you right now

Step 1- Take the live Guinea Pigs out of the bag and take pictures with them while they are still alive. 
Step 2- Say a quick prayer and silently tell the animal you are sorry for what is about to happen.
Step 3- Place the nose of the guinea pig on the ground and both hands on the back of its head.
Step 4- Push on the back of the head as hard as you can until you hear and fell the skull break and the animal squeal. Then continue pushing.
Step 5- Grab the guinea pig by the neck and back legs and pull until you hear the spine crack and neck break. At this point the animal is dead. 
Step 6- Rip out an eyeball and hang the pig upside down as the blood runs out of its eye. 
Step 7- Dip it in hot water and deskin it. At this point it looks like a rat
Step 8- Cut it open and remove intestines
Step 9 Put it on a stick and roast it over a fire.
Step 10-Rotate it carefully until it is fully cook.
Step 11- Serve.
Step 12-Take pictures during the whole process. I will be blessing you all with those pictures. 

















Probably one of the strangest things I have done, and I probably will never do it again. This day goes down as the day Elder Shanklin became a cold blooded killer. Tried to leave out the gruesome details but I apologize if anyone thinks wrong of this. Remember I am in Ecuador and things are different here. (Mom if you think it is bad you can remove some things or change it up a little bit.)

Coming Soon: Baptism

We will be having another baptism this week. Paola is going to be getting baptized and it should be awesome. She is golden. Loves everything about the gospel and it always wanted to learn more. The next letter should be good then. I dont know if I can promise matching ties again, or anything extraordinary but I will try my best. 

Womens Day

Yesterday in Ecuador it was Day of the women. So Happy Day of Women to all you women out there. Hope you had a great day. Even though I am pretty sure that that day doesnt even exist there in the US. 

Thanks for all the prayers and support. It is always appreciated. 

Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment