Wednesday, April 15, 2015

New Sector, New Companion, New People-Santa Monica Guayaquil Week Thirty Seven

Feels like it went from winter to summer over night here. Amazing how different it is here in Ecuador. Also a shout out to the little sis as this week she will be turning 14! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Changes

First things first. I am out of Cuenca and have returned to Guayaquil. I don't really know where exactly I am in Guayaquil, but the sector is Santa Monica. Not the biggest sector in the mission but we make it work. Cuenca was absolutely beautiful and I loved the time that I spent there but the Lord needs me here in Guayaquil, so here is where I will keep working hard. In Cuenca it is normally around 14 degrees celsius in the day, and at night you have to sleep with 2 blankets. Here in Guayaquil it is like 35-37 degrees and if you sleep with one blanket you will die of a heat stroke in the middle of the night. But really I sleep with the fan directly on my face. The coast is cool here. It is kinda where I started my mission and I am glad to be back.
The mountains of Guayaquil peeking through the clouds


Another view

New Companion

My new companion is Elder Flamenco. He was born in El Salvador. That makes 3 of my companions from El Salvador. However, when he was 3 he went to the United States or he moved there with his family. When he was 10 his family was introduced to the church and since then he has been going. He is a great example, plus he knows English and Spanish fluently which is a big help. We get along great and are working hard here in Guayaquil. Baptisms to come. 
The Santa Monica Zone

New People

This week when I got here we practically started from scratch. We just hit the ground running. We had a good week and we enjoyed our time as well. We have 7 people that we are working with and all of them were at church on Sunday. The all enjoyed themselves. Although some of them have problems and things that impede them from progressing we will continue to help them so that in time that can enjoy the peace and joy that Christ offers. There is lots of work to be done here in this sector and we are just getting started. Hopefully lots more success and cool stories are to come.  I don't have anything that will blow your mind away this time.
Torrential down pour in minutes flooded the streets

Elder Shanklin said, "this reminds me of New Orleans when we
would swim in the flood waters."

Thanks for all the love and support! Keep the prayers coming!

Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment