Sunday, October 11, 2015

Zone Leader Problems-Loja Week Sixty One

Oh family and friends...

Trips to Guayaquil
Basically these past few weeks have been filled with trips to Guayaquil. Like 3 in the last 3 weeks. Well make that 4 in the last 4 weeks because today we also have to travel to Guayaquil for Leadership Training. So basically we have to take another 8 hours drive today and then another 8 hour drive tomorrow after the council. Atleast there are a couple hours to catch up on sleep and enjoy some conversations with the other missionaries. You really get to know them in 8 hours. I am excited for what President has to say this month and should be a great learning opportunity. I am going with the new companion so we should both learn quite a bit in how to help the zone and the missionaries that are here in the zone.
Elder Shanklin showing off the Mural of Antonio Jose de Sucre(1795-1830)  in Loja

Conference
Lets just say that after every conference I walk away having learn new things and having been enriched spiritually. This conference I especially liked the talk on Saturday when the speaker asked the question "What else do I lack" (that is my spanish to english translation). I took the challenge that he offered in order to find out what I lacked as a missionary, as a companion, and a a leader. I was confident that the Lord was going to give me a huge list with countless things to change or to start doing. However, I felt impressed to do a couple things, or to change a couple things in order to be a better missionary or become the missionary that the Lord wants me to be. Pretty good and neat experience. I also liked the talk by Jeffrey R Holland about the Moms. I am so grateful for my mom in my life and contribute most of the success that I have had up till now in my life to her and to my dad. They talk my righteous principles and walked with me in the good times and the past. So a special thanks to them and everything they have done for me.
Elder Shanklin at the Gates of Loja


Zone Leader Problems
Basically as a zone leader you are in charge of missionaries and have to help them resolve there problems and make sure that the zone is funcioning and having success. For example this week in the zone we had 4 baptisms so we had to help the missionaries prepare and then help them carry it out as well. This week a pregnant lady of 9 months got baptized. We had to make sure that the water was super hot so that nothing happened with her pregnancy. We spent many hours in the week and eventually fixed the broken hot water heater.
A view of Loja


Elder Shanklin

Elder Shanklin in Loja
Don't ask me how or anything, but we did. We took it apart, placed new tubes, bought new batteries, and changed the gas, and then it worked. Baptisms always stress me out but after we fixed the hot water heater everything was good. We were able to have the baptisms here in the zone and they were super awesome. It is such a great experience to hear there testimonies about the church just moments after they got baptized. It strengthens my testimony everytime.

Well I don't have much time to write this week because we leave to Guayaquil in about 30 minutes. Hope everyone has a great week and thanks for all the love and support!
Life is a Sport, Make it Count
Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment