Friday, August 22, 2014

Half Way There And We Are Living On A Prayer-Mexico CCM Week Three

Thanks to everyone who sends packages (check out the links on the right if you want to send him something). Truly means a lot and one of these days Ill get around to writing thank you notes. Another week done and time seems to go faster and faster.

Pooped On
This past week I was enjoying a casual stroll through the palm trees on the beautiful MTC and I felt something hit the back of my shirt. Thinking it was just a berry that had fallen I continued my stroll. Moments later I realized that it was possible that in fact I had been pooped on. My dreams became nightmares when I asked my companion and he informed me that I had been pooped on. So I of course went home and changed. Still looking for that bird in hopes that I can somehow get my revenge.
Nice addition to his clothes

Just to prove that his story was true

Haircut
The man that said "the best things in life are free" has never had a free mexican haircut before. It was far from the best thing. Basically they called me over to a chair sat me down and just starting hacking away. Before I could even mutter a word half my hair was gone. Sad day. Especially because halfway through I figured there was no more hair to cut. I was wrong because she continued to cut hair. I will over you advice if you ever go to Mexico City do not get a free haircut.

Talk
This Sunday I was randomly selected to give a talk in Sunday. Like all of my talks I enjoy references sports in them. This time I decided to use a little bit of the other Elder Shanklin´s magic and reference the quote from Friday Night Lights. The quote is "Clear eyes, full heart, cant lose". It was a fan favorite. I guess it gave everyone a sense of home because lots of people came up and thanked me after the talk. Glad I got it out of the way so I dont have to worry about speaking anymore. Oh by the way the talk was 5-7 minutes and it had to be in all spanish.
The view of Mexico City

Another view of Mexico City

Mexican Homies

We said goodbye to our Mexican friends this past week. They were only here for 2 weeks. We did get a last selfie with them. In case you are wondering if you see a Latino Im sure, even if they dont know English, that they will know what a selfie is. They love them if you cant tell from some of the previous pictures.
Saying Goodbye

Prayers for Chicken

This past week the district that we share a house with decided that they wanted spicy chicken. Because of their desires they deciding that they would pray for it. So for 3 days they prayed that they would have spicy chicken as part of their meal. And low and behold we had spicy chicken yesterday for lunch. Prayers are answered. Next it is time for curly fries.
These are the Elders that "recruited Justin to be on their intramural team
at BYU!

Matching con Maestro

My teacher and I found out that we had the same tie so we decided that we would plan to wear it the same day. In the picture you will see to people. One person who looks really good in the tie and then their is my teacher. The teachers name is Hermano Salvador. He is so cool. If it is possible to make learning spanish fun that he deserves an A.
Elder Shanklin and Hermano Salvador

NOLA

Meet some missionaries that were leaving for New Orleans that night so I talked to them for a little bit. I told them that they had to go to Sal´s snowballs and to ask people if they remember the Shanklin´s. Sending my love (maybe) to the people of NOLA.

KRISPY KREME

I have talked pretty bad about the food here in the MTC. However there is one thing that they cant mess up and that is Kripsy Kreme. One of the people in our district got some and we chowed down on them. So good. Just another idea to how bad the food can be here. Taco Bell is fake Mexican food and it puts the food to shame here. I could go for a beefy crunch burrito anyday. 

Lessons

I will end on a spiritual note this week. This week as we were teaching our investigator we had opportunities that came up to use and teach by the spirit. We went it with lesson plans but walked out teaching a whole different lesson. One last thing to share and that I as a missionary need to remember when good things happen. As Ammon said, I boast not in myself but I will boast in the strength of my God. Remember that what we have is a blessing from God and always give him thanks. 

Much love to everyone. Thanks for all the emails and the support. Halfway threw the MTC and we are leaving on that prayer for curly fries. Ill keep you updated on if it works. 

Elder Shanklin...in Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment