Friday, August 15, 2014

The MTC Is Like Drinking From A Fire Hydrant. You Will Get A Couple Drops But Mostly It Will Hurt Your Face- Mexico CCM Week Two

I realize I probably sounded like a Debby Downer last week. The MTC is a great place filled with meaningful learning and constantly full of the spirit. 

Thank you to everyone that has sent me a package or card it really means a lot.

Groundhog Day
Has anyone seen the TV shows about that neighborhood that all does the same thing everyday (I believe there was one in Spongebob.) If so then you know exactly what the MTC is like. Everyone wakes up at 630 and walks out the door all wearing the same thing 2 by 2. It is actually quite funny. And the idea that there is a 10 foot wall and then barbwired fence around us makes it that much better.(mom note: This is for the protection of the missionaries not to keep them inside the area) It is a beautiful place with a bunch of views too.
Elder Shanklin at Mexico Temple

Recruitment
This week I was approached by some missionaries asking if I played ball. Of course I said yes, played with them and then went on my way. The next morning at breakfast I was approached by one of the kids and he asked me if I would like to play for his intramural team at BYU. It was strange because then he followed it with a pitch and then told me I would have a starting position. Never thought I would get a recruitment visit especially not in the MTC. I told them I would think about and gave them my email and he told me he would email me in 2 years.
Enjoying some Rootbeer after the recruitment visit!

Teaching
Every day we get the opportunity to teach someone, they are our teachers. We had just finished up our last lesson with our first investigator and as we were leaving she told my companion that he had poor spanish. As soon as she said that I just busted up laughing and what made it even funnier was I dont think my companion knew what she said. This past week we have recieved 2 new investigators. They are progressing well and look to be on the right path. One actually offered us the opportunity to sleep instead of teaching her. I almost took her up on the offer. But seriously our language is continuing to grow. Sometimes I say words that I didnt know I knew. Crazy how the Lord works.

Mexican Homies
This past week me and my companion have become really good friends with these Latinos. They speak decent English and we speak decent Spanish so we can communicate quite well. Whenever we see them we just yell and they yell back. They love to take selfies too. So I have sent my mom a couple of the selfies that we have taken. It is amazing the love they have for the gospel. It is truly universal. They leave in a couple days and I am truly gonna miss them.
Elder Shanklin, Elder Thomas and Their Homies

I guess those long arms are good for selfies!!

Running from the Runs
This past week  there has been an outbreak of the runs. Ill spare you details and let you use your imagination. It is seriously the nastiest thing ever. I am one of the few who didn't get it and luckily have been safe. However, my companion on the other side was down for the count. I lost track after 10 trips to the bathroom one day. People say it is bound to happen to everyone but so far I'm good and couldn't be happier about it.
A selfie of Elder Shanklin in front of the Mexico Temple

PEVE
Peve is a holiday that is celebrating here in the MTC. It stands for PDay Eve. One of the greatest moments. Like if I had to compare it to something it would be either pay day or Christmas eve. It is seriously amazing. That downside is you really cant focus so you just need to work harder. Last night for peve we watched a movie. It was the Tyler Haws Mormon Message. It was super interesting and I advise anyone to watch it. His example for missionaries is amazing. 

One last thing. if anyone wants to send packages or letters I'm always open to receiving them  (see right side bar on mailing Elder Shanklin and for links to companies that deliver packages to him). Thanks so much for all the love and support. Gonna end this letter with two quotes that I thought were interesting. 

"Jesus Christ is not our last chance, he is our only chance. He will show us the way because he is the way." and the other is"The MTC is like drinking from a fire hydrant. You will get a couple drops but mostly it will hurt your face." 

Thanks again and may God Speed

Elder Shanklin...In Mexico


No comments:

Post a Comment