Saturday, October 18, 2014

Chinese Food In Ecuador Is Not Chinese Food-Machala Week Eleven

Another great week in the Vencedores. No grand adventure or miracle this week but it was a solid week!
How to amuse 3 Latinos
This week I discovered my electric flyswatter. So I took it out and used it because there were some mosquitos. Then I put it down. Since I have put it down I have not been able to use it again because the 3 latino elders that live in my house love it. They use it literally all the time, and they get the biggest kick when they kill something. It is seriously so funny to watch. They are always using it. First thing in the morning and before we go to bed. Sometimes I think there is going to be a fight over who can use it. The funny thing is they sell them here in Ecuador so it is not like they haven't seen them before.
Elder Quispe, Elder Shanklin with the Zone Leaders who are in the middle.

Mermaids in America 
I could seriously write a book about the things that happen to me daily because I am a gringo. Some are hilarious, and others kinda annoying. This week they were funny. First, two kids out of nowhere randomly ran up next to me and just walked next to me for 2 minutes and just stared at me. They didnt say a word and then they ran off and yelled "bye." No idea why. Second, I was talking with some kids and they asked me about mermaids.  I thought I would have some fun so I told them that mermaids are in America and if they visit I will show them to them. I need to find those kids again and tell them the truth because they were super excited.
Talk 
This Sunday I had to give a talk about missionary work. The missionaries or at least one of the missionaries gives a talk about every other week. Just a 10 minute talk. I spent all week preparing. Thank you to my parents for the great ideas! And Sunday everything went fine. The members said they could understand me and the Bishop repeatedly told me I did a great job. 
Chinese Food
The other missionaries in our house brought home chinese food the other night. I was so excited. Hoping for some sweet and sour or general chicken. I know that was dumb of me. When they opened it it was rice, chicken, noodles, and veggies covered in some sauce. Lessoned learned, chinese food is not chinese food in Ecuador. 
Comprehension
The language is starting to be easier to understand. But I would be lying if I said I could understand all or that my ability to speak was above par. Speaking is the difficult part. Hopefully, in a month or so, with the help of the Lord, everything will be good! Here in Ecuador, not sure if it is like this in other parts but they start their sentences very clear and by the end it sounds like a mumbling slur.
Justin sent this picture of when the city was in a blackout but that is all he said.
Investigators
L is still progressing and his baptism is this Saturday. Looking forward to it. However, this week we met a kid named Bryan. He is 13 but is a stud. He loves the gospel and reads the scriptures nightly since we have starting talking with him. Things look good with him, and his date is for the 8 of November. The work is isnt and nobody ever said it would be but it is definitely worth it. TIme is going fast and I think when the language clicks it will be so fast!
Thanks for all the love and support and prayers. Prayers are always appreciated! Hope everything is great back at home and wish everyone a great week!
Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment