Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Independence Day Is Not Like The Movie-Machala Week Thirteen

Time just keeps flying by. Another PDay is here and I have no idea where the time went. 

Exchanges
This past Monday there were exchanges. Practically the whole mission was changed, including every companionship in our zone...except me and my companion. We were the only 2 that stayed together. We did recieve a new zone leader and he is gringo. So now there are 2 gringos in the house and I think we can hold our own. My companion has less then a month left in the mission so it is a possibility that we will be companions till then.
Elder Shanklin enjoying a beautiful sunset

Mr. Breadman
This past week we visited a less active family. Upon arrival we were suprised to see a table full of flour and eggs and a bunch of other stuff. We ended up learning how to make bread from this guy. We learned how to make sweet bread, and just normal white bread. I wasnt allowed to touch the bread, will actually I could but I didnt want to because if I messed it up I would be in trouble. My companion however is a pro. His mom makes bread all the time so he knows how to do it all. I just watched and was the photographer.
Elder Quispe making bread
Photo Credit: Elder Shanklin

Zone Conference
So every Saturday we have a Zone Conference and this past one we had the pleasure of having the Assistants come and visit. They gave an awesome and brief message and then left. Nothing earth shattering but they did their job. Zone conferences are the same we learn a principle, apply it, and practice it. With the new leader who is learning it was a lot slower paced but still a good time. 

Independence Day
We had dinner this past week with a less active family. It doesnt happen much but yes we have dinner ocassionally. For some reason we got on the subject of Holidays. The dad asked me about the 4th of July and all the celebrations. I proceeded to tell him about the background. The war, and the Declaration of Independence. He seemed confused at the idea. He then told me he had seen a movie about this day in the USA. He was talking about the movie Independence day. For those we know the movie, it is about Will Smith fighting off an Alien race and he eventually saves the human race. As awesome of a story as that would of been, I told him that all of it is false and just made for a great movie. 

Invesitgators
We have 2 baptisms this week. Both are on the 31st of October. Pretty cool that is will be Halloween. I know I have said it before but they dont celebrate that much. Excited for the Baptism of both B and D. Both are really awesome and love the gospel.

Pizza
Well I should have learned from my experiences in the past. Food here isnt the same as in america. We had pizza this past week in Missionary Coorelation. 22 dollars for a large pizza. I was dumbfounded. I paid 5 bucks to recieve one piece of decent pizza. Leason learned. 

Thanks for all the support. Hope everyone has a safe and awesome Halloween!!

Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment