Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Stay In The Boat, But If You Fall In Someone Will Come And Get You-Machala Week Ten

Mini Adventure
Tuesday we went to the Hospital because my companion was having heart problems. Don't worry, he isn't dying or anything just some inflammation and nothing more. He is talking pillls and will survive. However, the hospital is a good 25 minute drive in a taxi from where we are. So I got to see a bunch more of Machala. The hospital is close to central Machala, which is one of the nicer parts of Machala. As we got closer and closer to the city you could tell that this is where the wealthier people lived. Not like super nice but it was Ecuador nice super houses. After, our adventure at the hospital we had to run a couple errand in Central. So I got to see even more and take some pictures. Sorta kinda in the most unrule breaking way possible it was like a mini pday.
Hospital in Machala

Elder Shanklin and Elder Quispe

Missionary Time
So what I have learned in these first couple of weeks as a missionary is that Missionaries are hardly ever on time. It is just how it is. You never know what is going to happen or take place during the day. Unless it is an important lesson there is a good chance we will be late. However, here in Ecuador it really isn't a problem because people are always in their houses.
The "REAL" reason they are always late...Elder Shanklin posing in front of fountains

Bill Gates of Ecuador
So the kids here love me. It is like I am a celebrity or something. I walk down the street and everyone, even parents, whisper and stare. Like yes, I am white, do you want to take a picture? This week I made the mistake of telling some kids that I had a car, a PS4, and about my house. I am pretty sure that they think I am the richest man in the world. You should have seen the look on their faces. I carry like 2 bucks on me at all times so if anyone robs me because they think I have money, jokes on them.
Well according to his bank account "Bill Gates" didn't get any McDonalds!

Walking
As a missionary, I don't know if it is just me and my companion or everyone, but we haul. We walk sooo fast. Not because I want too but because if I don't I will get left in the dust. My thought though is, How fast do you think Jesus walked during his ministry? Mhmm, made you think. I'm sure he liked to walk slow, enjoy his surroundings, and occasionally take a snack break. That is just my opinion. And Mom if you feel this is inappropriate feel free to remove it. 

Conference
Conference is not even close to the same. This is the first time I didn't watch it from the comfort of my couch. All the speakers have the same Spanish voice, and I had to literally work to understand what was being said. And I still didn't understand some. One of the parts that I like was,  I don't remember who said it, but they said something like "Stay in the boat, but if you fall out we will come and get you." Many people have fallen out of the boat here in Ecuador, and me and my companion have the opportunity to go and rescue them. Take all the necessary precautions to stay in the boat, but if you fall somebody better come after you.

Everything is Possible
If you have ever doubted your abilities or asked if you could do something hard. I am here to tell you that you can. This past Saturday we fit 5 grown men into one taxi. Literally one of the longest and most painful 20 minute rides of my life. I started to lose feeling in my ankle about halfway there and there was nothing I could do. Remember that impossible is nothing.
Looking over the city of Machala

Machala

See that little taxi?  That is what Elder Shanklin is talking about.
Peace in Hard Times
Whenever something bad or awkward happens to me all I think is "I hope someone else can laugh at this because I for sure am not". Time is flying here in Ecuador and I am enjoying my time. The people here are some of the nicest you will meet. 

Thanks for all the love and support

Life is a sport, make it count!

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment