Thursday, January 7, 2016

Feliz Ano Nuevo-Francisco Segura Guayaquil Week Seventy Four

Hope everyone had a great New Years and that everyone could spend a little time with there family. Hopefully everyone got a good amount a sleep as well. I know that I did. 

New Years In Ecuador

I dont want anyone to think bad when I say that this past week I celebrated my last New Years in Ecuador. It was a little different then the last because I was in a different place. The culture here is that at 12 oclock at night every shoots off fireworks and burns this things called Añoviejos or "Oldyear" in English. They are practically big paper dolls of cartoon characters or movie characters or things like that. I have sent picture with them. They are made in all different shapes and sizes. There are some like 2 stories big and others that are as big as your hand. Then after the burn those everyone goes and eats dinner as a family and then they keep drinking and getting drink. The party here doesnt just last one night, but the entire week. Nobody works and the kids dont have classes so everyone just parties. The cool thing was even during the parties and all the tempation surrounding we were still able to focus and have some great lessons and spiritual experiences. 

Elder Shanklin and Elder Rios

Getting ready for New Years Eve

What does a missonary do during New Years?

Many of you just heard my explanation of New Years and probably asked yourself, What does a missionary do during New Years? Well on the 31st and the 1st we had to be in the house at 6PM. From that time we studied the scriptures but that I mean we played monopoly and yours truly won. They we watched the fireworks, drank some sprite with grape juice and that went to bed. There was nothing to do so we all headed to bed early. The only thing was that there was so much noise so it was almost impossible to sleep and I think I finally was asleep at like 2 in the morning. The life of a missionary.
Elder Shanklin and Elder Rios with a minion

Thanks for all the love and support. In the next couple weeks we will be having baptisms so be on the look out for the pictures in white. 

Life is a Sport, Make it Count

Elder Shanklin  

No comments:

Post a Comment