Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Giant In A Land Of Small People-Machala Week Nine

Another week is done and in the books. Thanks for all the letters and continued support!

Food
I knew life was too good the past couple of weeks when it came to food. All the food I had was great. This week however I had a couple run-ins with not so great food. First, I had these tamale type things except they werent even close to tamales. I had to choke them down and the last bite I was pretty sure I was gonna throw up. However, with lots of water I was able to hold down all the food. Next, just last night we went to a sisters house for dinner. When she brought out the plates I saw noodles and was thrilled. I took a bite and practically spit it back up. It was noodles covered in mayo. For anyone that doesnt know I hate mayo. So what did I do? Gave half to my companion and then put the other half in a paper towel and took in on the road and gave it to some dogs later. (

This have become a Shanklin missionary trick!)

American Ecuador
I am pretty sure that lots of countries try to be like America in some way. Here in Ecuador, there are many American themed restaurants and tons of American fashion stores. The funny part is that if anyone in  America wore the clothes that they were selling I am pretty sure they would get made fun of. They are like 15 years old in fashion, at least that's what it feels like to me. For example, Do-Rags. Also 50 cent the singer is big here in Ecuador and he wears do-rags. So all the kids think that they are in fashion in America. I am pretty sure I broke a kids heart when I told him that nobody wears them in America. They do love American basketball tho. However, they are the biggest fair-weather fans. They like Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, and Chicago Bulls. I don't think that they know Lebron plays for Cleveland yet.

Weird Things I Have Seen
Everyday here in Ecuador you never know what you are gonna see. It has become normal to me so I don't even recognize it, but here are a few things I have seen:
-A computer mouse used as a leash for a human
-More Ferrari's than I have ever seen before. Heads up, they aren't actually Ferrari's. They are cruddy cars and they put the Ferrari sticker on them.
-Nike everything. I didnt know this but I guess in Ecuador Nike sells flower pots and all sorts of stuff. Nope. People just put Nike stickers on everything and sew Nike on clothes. It is quite funny.

Giant in a Land of Small People
Nothing and I mean nothing was made for tall people in Ecuador. I have to duck to enter every door, and on the bus there is no way my legs will fit. People look at me like I am an alien. It is like they have never seen a white person before. The weird part is there are people here that are whiter than me. 

Investigators
L-Still progressing super well. Loves the gospel we just need to get him to read every day or more. Everything is a go for the 18th for his baptism. 
W- He is having doubts about marriage. Because here in Ecuador it costs lots of money to get married. However, we are trying to get the ward involved to help them.
D-Reading and praying and looks to be a go for the 18th of October for her baptism as well.

Working with these people has been a blessing in my life. Seeing how the gospel of Jesus Christ helps others to learn and change their lives is remarkable. 

Last Thought
I hope nobody takes offense to this but listening to Ecuadorians sing is like listening to a tone deaf cow sing. I mean that in the nicest way possible! 

Thanks for all the love and support!

Life is a sport. Make it count!

Elder Shanklin


No comments:

Post a Comment