Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Candy Man Is In Ecuador-Machala Week Fourteen

Hope everyone had a safe and awesome Halloween this past weekend.

Apologies
I don't know if they read these letters but I want to apologize to the Garcia family. They were awesome to me in the CCM and the green soccer jersey that I wear in a lot of pictures is from them. They did a lot for me. However, I sent them like 3 thank you letters and I recently recieved 2 back. Not sure if they recieved the other but I wanted to personally say thank you to them for all that they didnt for me. SO...Thank you. I haven't forgotten what you have done for me.
Happy Halloween from the Elders

Halloween
Basically everyone knows what Halloween is but nobody celebrates it. There is no candy, or costumes. There were a couple of parties but what is new. That is everyday in Ecuador. However, Mom, the candy and little toys that you sent me where a huge hit with both adults and kids. Story time. Every friday night we have an activity in the church called noche de amigos. Every week we watch a church movie and play games. This weeks as a participation prize I gave out dum dum suckers and little halloween rings. But by the way everyone reacted and how excited they were you would have thought that I was giving out 100 dollars bills. So now in Ecuador I am called the Candy Man. Not really but that would be awesome
I guess every missionary brings a stuffed animal on their mission!

Baptisms
I am sure my parents have been anxiously waiting to hear about these. On Halloween we had 2 baptisms. Pretty awesome way to celebrate it! B and D both got baptized. We did have a little scare but every ended up good. At 540 we passed by the house of Dayana and told her we would return at 6 to help her. We came back at 6 and she wasnt there. We call her and she is in Machala Centro. Like 15 minutes away in bus and 5 in taxi. She quickly jumped in a taxi and everything was fine. Except a baptism that was supposed to start at 630 started at 710. I gave the message about the spirit. Also those were my companions last baptisms because he is going home in like 2 weeks. 
D. with her family

Elder Shanklin, D. and Elder Quispe

Elder Shanklin, D, B, and Elder Quispe

Elder Shanklin, B, and Elder Quispe

B. and his family.

Investigators
Numbers are really low in all the mission right now. However, we have 1 solid investigator right now. She is neighbors with B. We gave her a Book of Mormon and we we returned she had already read 8 chapters. Yeah it was awesome. WOrking hard everyday so I know the Lord will bless us!
I think Elder Shanklin loves the beautiful sunsets on the coast.


Dia De Los Muertos
Day of the Dead. Nothing special about it. It was celebrated on Sunday and basically everyone just goes and visits the cementaries. Curch was like a ghost town. Not really but some people were missing! 
A fish eyeball that Elder Shanklin ate this week.
I think Elder Shanklin thought for a moment he was really in Hawaii!

Thanks for everything! Wish everyone the best week!

Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment