Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Hotel California 25 Years Later-Machala Week Fifteen

Shout out to my example in everyway, my dad. Best of luck to him in his new calling. 

Meeting with President
Numbers are extremely low in the mission right now, so the mission is making his rounds in order to inspire the missionaries. He talked about the importance of obedience. Also, as a mission we have specific goals weekly, and daily. We should be completing them with love not because of obligation. After the meeting the president wanted to interview everyone missiionary. He began at 1 and at 5 we were told to return to our sectors and tomorrow we would have interviews. The next day we showed up at 10 and at 3 we were told to return to our sectors because there was no time. So many hours spent in the chapel, but no interview. Still I was inspired and learned alot from the message of the president

Hotel California
I recently received a letter in the mail from my dad in which he shared with me that while serving in Peru the people all loved the song Hotel California. Well I am here to tell you that things have not changed in the past 25 years. I have been asked by countless people if I know that song, and also there are a bunch of clothes that say hotel california on them. Not exactly sure why that song is so popular but it is. 

Blackouts
There were like 5 blackouts this week, which isn't really a lot but normally they happen when we are not in the street. However, 2 happened at like 8 at night while we were in the street. Im not talking like a couple street lights went out. The whole city was black. The only lights you could see were from Central, which is like 20 minutes away. Always, when the power goes out at night the streets clear. Like in 30 seconds there was nobody in the street. So we were just left in the street to die. Not really mom everything was fine. There was like a Purge feeling. Which isnt really good. During another we were at a members house. Curfew came and we decided to head back to the house in the darkness. I felt like I was a parent leaving there screaming child. She begged us not to go but we trudged through the darkness. Only for the power to go out again (after it came back on at the house) later that night when I was making Mac and Cheese.

Intercambios
So I have like no idea what they are called in English, but here in Ecuador or in Spanish they are intercambios. You switch companions for a day. I went with my district leader, Elder Narro. He is 26, and is from Peru. Totally awesome missionary. Super awesome experiences to work with another missionary and see how he does things!

Investigators
S came to church this sunday and is super awesome. She has made friends with all the young women and some of the young men. Here the youth do a great job of fellowshipping and it really aids in the progressing of the work. 
The family C is an awesome family that we found this week. They are young but have 2 kids. They have a strong desire to learn more about the gospel which is great. This is the first family I have taught and just seeing how much potencial the gospel has to bless their lives is inspiring. Hopefully more good things to come with this family!

No more
This week wasnt anything special but it sure went by quick. This upcoming week is my companions last week in the mission. So we are gonna make the most of it and work super hard. Hopefully next week I will have more to share!

Life is a sport,  make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment