Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Spirit Witnesses Truth-Guayaquil Week Twenty Four

So another week has passed in a blink of an eye and I've got a few stories to tell.
Friends in High Places
Tuesday I was informed that one of my past zone leaders that practically taught me all i know, because we did exchanges all the time with them, is now an assistant to the mission president. So watch out world I have friends in high places. I am not exactly sure what that does for me but I guess we will wait and see.
Elder Shanklin having a little fun

Love that smile!!
Running without Air
So all of my companions have all been on death row, meaning they will be going home soon. And because of that all of them have this great idea that they are gonna wake up early and run, and work out super hard so that they lose weight and arent fat when they go back. They first time I fought it and fought it because I like sleeping. Now I just go with it because I have learned a very valuable lesson. Which is it usually lasts only one day before they realize how awful of an idea it was. My companion know had this idea and on monday we started. About halfway through I felt like my companion and I both were running and couldn't breathe. Needless to say, tuesday we didnt run and we havent since. The thing is I will probably have that "great idea" too in a few months. Until then I will enjoy my sleep until 630.
Calm Before the Storm
As a missionary whenever everything is going great and everyone is progressing without any problems and life is all good you get a little suspicious and honestly just wait for Satan to strike. You cant really do much except prepare and prepare ,but it is not if Satan will come it is when. On thursday we passed by Vickys house to see how she was doing. She told us she had been thinking and wants to learn more before she got baptized. We listened and then explain the importance of baptism. The spirit was there as we testifiied of the importance of baptism. She told us she would take time to think and let us know tomorrow. When we returned the next day, after many prayers, she was super excited and all for it. The Lord works miracles and plays a part in our daily lives. On Saturday we had two baptisms. Vicky was baptized and a older man named Luis. It was awesome. Also come to find out Luis was a kinda famous news reporter and his daughter is currently a news reporter on the Ecuador news. He also has written some books, and poems. You learn something new, and meet someone new everyday here.
Elder Shanklin and Luis

Elders and Vicky
Language 
So my language skills are progressing, at least I think. The other day we were in a house of a member and I said a prayer and after they asked me how much time I had in the mission. I replied 5 months, and she looked at me in shock and told me I spoke clearly like I had 10-12  months in the mission. They whole time I thought I have you guys fooled or something because I dont know spanish. But I didnt say anything just smiled and said thanks. 

It has been a blessing to be here in ecuador learning a new language, and learning the gospel. Time is passing super quick and Im having fun. THanks for all the support!
Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment