Monday, January 5, 2015

Just A Reminder Of How Important It Is To Follow The Savior-Guayaquil Week Twenty Three

First and foremost. Happy Birthday to a superhero, a newspaper star, and a great example...or in other words my dad. He turns like 60 this week. Not really I think he is still in his 40s but who knows. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

New Years Eve
Welcome to WW3. Or the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (correct me mom) in the Bible. Here in Ecuador everyone buys this paper dolls. They range from like 1 feet to 15 feet. And then at midnight they all pour gasoline on them and burn them in the street. As they are burning they think it is a great idea to throw fire works that literally sound like bombs when they explode. So thanks to the people of Ecuador I received little to no sleep New Years Eve. I literally thought that the world was ending. With the sky exploding, smoke fuming everywhere, and things that sound like bombs. Either its my birthday or new years eve.
This is Elder Shanklin with one of the  paper dolls he described above

Rain
So here in Ecuador, or more specifically in Guayaquil it doesnt rain all that often. One saturday it rained for about 2 hours. I was super excited because it cooled off during those two hours. Then I realized how much I hate it when it rains here, because after the rain ceased it was like I was bathing in my own sweat. It is humid in Missouri, but please come to Ecuador after rain to feel real humidity. I was like choking to breathe. Not really I just wanted to add some dramatic effect. I will take the heat over the rain now.
Showing some Ecuadorian Swag

Investigators
We had a great week this week with teaching. Minus all the streets contacts we are teaching some really awesome people including two who are getting baptized on saturday. One of them got married just so that he could get baptized. Just a reminder of  how important it is to follow the Savior in our lives. One family we are teaching is super awesome. The dad was baptized when he was a kid but he fell away some time after. We actually met him at a combined church gathering to sing christmas songs. He informed us that he was a member. He told us that he wants to give his family the same opportunity that he had and that he wants to return to church. Some many faithbuilding and awesome things have taken place during my time here in Ecuador. I am grateful for this chance to serve here.

Ward Party
Typical Ecuadoreans. Our Ward party was supposed to start at 7 oclock. As missionaries we were there punctual because we wanted the food. However, when we left at 9pm the party still hadn't started and we left hungry. I was informed after we left that the party finally did start and that it was awesome. I hope you enjoy some of the pictures we took there with the members and youth.
With all the holidays ending and school starting back up here tomorrow the work should start to pick up. The language is progressing, and I am learning a ton. Also a quick shout out to the bro in Norway. Seems to be killing it as ZL and winning the hearts of many as he does it. Thanks for all the prayers and support. Have a great week!
The Youth at the Ward Party

Elder Shanklin, Elder Maravilla and a ward member

Elder Shanklin and Elder Maravilla

Life is a sport, make it count
Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment