Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Faith Is Building And So Is My Love For This People-Guayaquil Week Twenty Two

I hope Christmas was awesome for everyone. I heard that Santa made his rounds so that is always good. I think he might of forgot where I live but for that I have great parents and grandparents who sent me some packages. So this week in the life of Elder Shanklin of Ecuador...

Christmas Eve and Christmas
Not sure if anyone has spent Christmas in Ecuador, but if you have you know what I mean when I say, It is way different than American Christmas. Christmas Eve is christmas here. "Papa Noel" comes like at 10 and then all the kids open there presents at midnight. After that it basically is just a normal day. At least it felt like a normal day to me and all the people we talked with said it is basically a normal day. We worked like they were normal days. We were in the streets at 11, but the only exception is that we had to be in the house at 7 at night both days. In order to celebrate Christmas, we hit up McDonalds because we literally had no food in the house. So if i could describe christmas in Ecuador in 3 words it would be Hot and Different. It was cool to experience a different culture and see what the holidays are like in another part of the world.

Christmas Dinner

Using his blanket as a tablecloth for his Christmas dinner.

Skype Call
My first of 4 skype calls is gone and done with. It was great to talk with the family back at home and catch up a little bit. I told them to tell everyone hi. So hopefully they followed through and everyone got their message. It not I apologize but know that I say hi.
Skyping with Elder Shanklin in Ecuador

Elder Shanklin in Ecuador and Elder Shanklin in Norway
 spending a few minutes together.

Funeral Service
So someone in the zone went home this past week. I dont know how he did it but he spent 3 christmas´s in the mission. He decided that he had been through a lot, so as a district we threw him a funeral service. See the pictures. It was pretty awesome. It was themed christmas. SO that is why all have red ties, red flowers, and my santa hat.
3 Christmas's in the mission.

Funeral Service for the elder going home.

Survival Men
So after the course of some events and other things after christmas we were left with 15 cents, 6 pieces of bread, half a box of cereal, 4 eggs, some milk, and 3 top ramen and we needed to survive until today. I am glad to say that I am still living and actually wasnt that bad. So you know how there is a preach my gospel video for missioneros. My companion and I are going to make a survival guide video for missionaries. The release date is set for never, and we probably never make it to the big screen but wish us luck.
Elder Shanklin and Elder "Marvelous"

The Work
This week was good. We went hard and Sunday we reaped the fruits of our labor. We had 4 people that were in the church and are progressing strong. Some crazy, faith building experiences have taken place the last couple days.  My companion has been sick and so we havent been able to work as much, but when we did the Lord blessed us. I am grateful to  be here in Guayaquil serving this people. I have learned so much in just a short period of time. My faith is building, as well as my love for this people. This is by no means easy. Each day I returned home drained of energy but at the same time I look forward to what lies ahead. "Nobody said it would be easy, that just said it would be worth it"

Hope everyone has a great week this week and a safe New Years Eve. Dont party too hard!
Life is a sport, make it count!
Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment