Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Three Weeks And You Are Out-Cuenca Week Twenty Five

Transfers
I think I have said this before but transfers here happen anyday at anytime. Monday night I was practically asleep when we heard the phone ring. My companion answered it and then hands the phone to me. On the other end I here "Elder Shanklin you have transfers". I didnt know what to say. I had only been in that sector like 3 weeks and didnt even have a chance to really meet the members and everyone. However, I was informed the next morning that I would be going to Cuenca. After the little party I threw in my head me and my new companion headed to Cuenca. For those who don't know Cuenca it is a city that is in the mountains. Almost a little bit like Utah. It is really hard to explain it because of how awesome and breathtaking it is here. Look it up on the computer or something and that will help. The climate change is also very nice. It went from being like 37 degrees celsious to about 14-18 degrees celsious here. I am no mathmatician but that seems like a lot to me. 

New Companion
So I finally have a gringo companion. I am not thrilled about it but life is life. (Mom note: He loves his companion but he just doesn't like how much English they speak) His name is Elder Hunt and is from Utah. He has been in the mission for almost 18 meses. He works hard and we are getting a lot of things done her. Here in Cuenca the zones are a little different than the others. Here the only elders are the ZL, DL, and the companions of them. The rest are the hermanas. So for once in my mission there are more hermanas than elders in my zone. It is different here in Cuenca but it is also a nice change that I am enjoying. 

Exchanges
One thing that always has seemed to happen in the mission is that I always get the opportunity to do exchanges with the zone leaders. I was only in this zone for 3 days when the zone leaders asked to do exchanges with us. It was an awesome experience as always. I went with one of zone leaders to their sector. He was fairly new to his sector and so most of the day we found ourselves lost, without a sense a direction. The lessons we did teach were awesome. Any opportunity I have to learn from someone who has more experience than me I will openly accept. 

Travel time
Another difference between Cuenca and the other cities is that in Cuenca you are always traveling. The sectors are literally huge. I can be in a bus for 3 hours and still be in my sector. We climb mountains to visit members and pass threw forest to get to investigadors. Because everyone lives so far away from each other we have to take so many taxis and buses. Although the perk is that I get to see some beautiful sights and views. I didnt carry my camera with me a lot and I apologize but next week I will have more pictures. 

It was a great week this week and hoping for another great week to come! Thanks for all the support!

Life is a sport, make it count

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment