Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Another Companion Is Gone-Loja Week Fifty Nine

Well what marks the end of my companions mission, is the beginning of my adventure here in Loja.
Changes
My companion has completed his mission and this week he will be heading to his homeland of Bolivia. He is my first Bolivian companion that I have had. It was only 2 weeks but it was an enjoyable time and we made the most of it. Today we just took some pictures and that he bought some gifts for his family. He is the only member in his family which is pretty remarkable and without the support of his parents he came on the mission. Now 2 years later they fully support him and his goal is to go back to baptize them. I can say he worked until the last day and worked hard. Not sure who my new companion will be but hopefully it will be another latin so I can keep my spanish growing. Guess you guys will find out next week. }
Elder Shanklin in Loja

love that smile

Celebrating his companion going home
(notice him laying down on the bench)
PDay
Well we are in Loja and ther are some hilly or mountany areas so we decided to go up to one to take some pictures. We thought that since we are all 19-21 year olds and are all in shape that we can easily do that. We figured it would be like a 30 minute hike. After 30 minutes of walking we decided that we had made absolutely no progress and turned and came around. We began the long walk down, out a breath, and in that moment I realized I need to do more exercise in the morning. Luckily so guy passed in his car and offered to take us to the city, no charge. I think he thought we were all dying or something. However thanks to that random dude. Just proves that good people do exist.
The pday hike

Loja 

View of Loja

President
On Wednesday night we were sitting in a meeting with the stake president when we hear a knock at the door. I figured it was the secretary or someone like that. When the door open, it is President Torres. Out of nowhere he showed up to Loja. Met we us for like 30 minutes and then sent us on our way for the night. The next morning we had a awesome meeting with him. I always learn a bunch from him and all the counsels that he gives. The assistants where also there and they are good friends so it is always nice to talk with them. The zone increased and improved a lot this week, so it was good that they came and could see the progress we are making.

This week I learned a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The work is a lot harder here and sometimes a little discouraging. However, I realize that the Lord suffered everything for me and all that he asks of me is that I help others become closer to him and follow his example. It is something so small but so important.
Thanks for all the love and support back at home.
Life is a Sport, Make it Count
Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment